The Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of Wrocław, Poland, invites applications for two 4-year PhD scholarship in String Theory and Quantum Gravity within the project "Duality Symmetries as Key to Quantum Spacetime" funded by the National Science Centre Poland.
Research Tasks: Besides training in advanced theoretical physics and mathematics, you will be immersed in the group's research efforts from the first day. You will contribute to calculations, discussions and publications. Generous travel funds will allow you to attend schools and workshops/conferences to present your results. Topics you will be working on include:
- quantum corrections to non-linear σ-models
- generalised geometry
- supergravity and supergroups
- conformal field theories
- computer algebra systems
- master's or equivalent degree in physics or a closely related field
- fluent English in writing and speaking
- working knowledge of general relativity and quantum field theory
- previous exposure to string theory would be an advantage
- a highly motivated team player
Terms of Employment: You can only receive this scholarship after being admitted to the Doctoral School of the University of Wrocław. We will help the successful candidate with the required application. For more details, please get in touch.
Starting Date: 1st October 2022 (negotiable)
Salary: The scholarship is at least 2500 PLN (tax-free) per month. It is supplemented by the regular scholarship for PhD students at the University of Wrocław of approximately 2100 PLN per month net. Therefore, you can expect around 4600 PLN net salary per month. PhD students qualify for housing in the university's residential halls, which costs between 850 and 1150 PLN/month (single room).
How to apply: Please send the following application documents via email to the principal investigator Falk Hassler , with the subject "PhD Student":
- curriculum vitae
- transcript of grades and diplomas
- reference letters (at least two), sent directly by the referees
- include at the end of your email the following clause regarding the personal data protection laws in the EU: "I hereby authorise you to process my personal data included in my job application solely for the purpose of the selection process in accordance with the article 7 of the Regulation of the European Parliament and Council (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) [OJ EU L. 2016.119.1 of 4 May 2016]."
The revision of applications starts now and continues until a suitable candidate is found, but no longer than 5 June 2022.
The University of Wrocław is one of the leading universities in Poland, currently teaching over 26,000 students and around 1,300 doctoral students. It is situated on the banks of the Oder River in the city of Wrocław. With more than 130,000 students, Wrocław is one of the most youth-oriented cities in the heart of Europe.
For more details contact Falk Hassler at .
Contact: Hassler, Falk ()
Letters of Reference should be sent to: ()